7 Best Robot Vacuum Cleaners for Pet Hair, Hardwood Floors, and Carpet
If you are anything like us, you love a clean home but don't necessarily want to spend hours each week trying to keep it clean. Keeping a tidy house is especially challenging when dogs, cats, and kids are in the picture. Food gets thrown and pet hair gets everywhere. So what is the secret to crumb- and hair-free floors and zero hours wasted dragging a manual vacuum around? Robotic vacuums! For our family, robotic vacuums are a game changer. Our small and quiet automatic vacuum picks up our dog Django's fine hair and our toddler's endless food crumbs. It works quietly and effectively while we're working from home, playing with our children, and relaxing in the evening hours. Best of all, Mike and I no longer spend the little spare time we have vacuuming our floors ourselves. In this DJANGO Dog Blog article, we rank the best robot vacuum cleaners for pet hair, bare floors, and carpets. Some of the robot vacuums on our list our premium and higher priced models, others are more budget-friendly, and all models are incredibly effective at cleaning and well-rated by customers.More
Disclaimer: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means if you purchase an item, we may receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. We only recommend products we know and love, and all opinions expressed here are our own.
If you are anything like us (Steph and Mike), you love a clean home but don't necessarily want to spend hours each week trying to keep it clean. Keeping a tidy house is especially challenging when dogs, cats, and kids are in the picture. Food gets thrown and pet hair gets everywhere.
We know from experience! With a rambunctious 3.5 year old toddler, a 6-month old baby, and an adorable long-haired dachshund who sheds like no other, our home's hardwood floors and pet-friendly area rugs are constantly covered in something.
So what is the secret to crumb- and hair-free floors and zero hours wasted dragging a manual vacuum around? Robotic vacuums!
For our family, robotic vacuums are a game changer. Our small and quiet automatic vacuum picks up our dog Django's fine hair and our toddler's endless food crumbs. It works quietly and effectively while we're working from home, playing with our children, and relaxing in the evening hours. Best of all, Mike and I no longer spend the little spare time we have vacuuming our floors ourselves.
In this DJANGO Dog Blog article, we rank the best robot vacuum cleaners for pet hair, bare floors, and carpets. Some of the robot vacuums on our list our premium and higher priced models, others are more budget-friendly, and all models are incredibly effective at cleaning and well-rated by customers.
TOP ROBOT VACUUM CLEANERS:
IROBOT ROOMBA S9+
The iRobot Roomba s9+ features two extra-wide rubber roll brushes. These counter-rotating brushes are excellent at picking up pet hair on hardwood floors. While they scatter some debris while working, they overall do a great job at pickup up messes.
For those with plush carpets or area rugs, the iRobot Roomba s9+ is also good at cleaning low- and medium-pile flooring. What's more, with two square edges and two rubber side brushes, this 3.5-inch tall robot vacuum easily squeezes into tight corners and cleans under low furniture. Unlike a few other vacuums on our list, you must have a smartphone and download the iRobot Home App to control where the Roomba s9+ goes.
KEY FEATURES of iRobot Roomba s9+:
- 40x more suction power than the Roomba 600 series
- Empties itself for up to 60 days
- Detects objects taller than 1/10 inch (2.5 cm)
- Captures 230,400 data points per second to map and clean 2,153 sq. ft. (200 sq. m)
- Traps 99% of pollen and pet dander
- Works with Amazon Alexa and Google Home devices
- Creates customized schedules around your cleaning habits
- Stays away from certain areas or objects based on customizable "Keep Out" zones
- Syncs with the iRobot Braava Jet M6 (6110)
IROBOT ROOMBA S9
The iRobot Roomba s9 has the same navigation features as the Roomba s9+, but it does not come with an iRobot Clean Base Automatic Dirt Disposal. With more suction and wider brushes than lower-priced robot vacuums, it does a superb job of sucking up pet hair on baseboards, bare floors, and low- and medium-pile carpets and rugs. The brush roll can be easily removed to remove any trapped fur or pet hair. Similar to the Roomba s9+, customers have reported the Roomba s9 sometimes needs a couple of extra passes to clear swaths of small debris.
KEY FEATURES of iRobot Roomba s9:
- Removes 99% of dog and cat dander
- Builds Smart Maps based on the layout of your home
- Suggests personalized cleaning schedules based on how you normally clean
- Avoids sensitive areas like baby playpens and pet bowls
- Works with Google Home, Amazon Echo, and Alexa devices
- Teams up with the Braava Jet M6 to tackle grime and grease
The Eufy 11S is the lowest-priced robot vacuum on our list, incredibly well-rated, and loved by customers. If you're on a budget, this is an excellent robot vacuum to consider.
The Eufy 11S is very good at picking up debris and pet hair on hardwood floors and low- to medium-pile rugs. What is more, it can wiggle under low furniture and dart away from hazards like power cords better than most high-end robotic vacuums. The Eufy 11S is also quiet when in use—some compare the noise it emits to a percolating coffee maker.
Unlike most robotic vacuums on the market, the Eufy 11S can be controlled with a remote (instead of a smartphone). The low-tech bot's biggest downside is its random cleaning pattern. It drives until it hits a wall or a piece of furniture, pivots, and repeats the process until its battery dies. It also does not self-empty, although customers report emptying the collection tray is easy and quick. Lastly, customers have commented that the robot vacuum struggles on high-pile carpets and can be less effective on dark-colored, bare floors.
KEY FEATURES of Eufy 11S:
- Remote control (2 AAA batteries required)
- 2.5-cup (0.6-liter) dustbin
- 4 side brushes for deep cleaning corners and edges
- Anti-scratch, tempered glass top cover
- Drop-sensing technology prevents it from falling down stairs
- Automatically recharges when the battery is low
- Large wheels easily roll over low- to medium-pile carpets and climb door ledges
SAMSUNG JET BOT AI+ VR50T95735W
The Samsung Jet Bot AI+ Robot Vacuum Cleaner is excellent at cleaning low- and medium-pile carpets, hardwood floors, pet hair, and the edges of walls and corners. Its brush roll features anti-static fibers and self-cleaning extractors that grind up pet hair (rather than allowing them to get stuck, like some others on our list). With LiDAR sensors, a 3D Camera, and advanced AI Object Recognition technology, this Samsung model effectively identifies and avoids objects in the way like power cords, dog bowls, and toys.
The Samsung Jet Bot AI+ Robot Vacuum Cleaner is self-emptying and can be controlled through Sampsung's SmartThings app. Any downsides with this one? One of the loudest and tallest robotic vacuums on our list, the Samsung Jet Bot AI+ Robot Vacuum Cleaner struggles to fit under baseboards and low furniture.
KEY FEATURES of Samsung Jet Bot AI+ Robot Vacuum Cleaner (VR50T95735W):
- LiDAR sensors and a 3D camera create accurate room maps
- AI Object Recognition technology identifies and avoids objects
- Recognizes rooms in your house and learns your cleaning habits
- Stream real-time video on your cell phone using the SmartThings app
- Traps 99.99% of dust, pollen, and pet dander
- Automatically empties its dustbin
- Works with Amazon Alexa, Bixby, and Google Assistant
IROBOT ROOMBA I3+ EVO
The iRobot Roomba i3+ EVO is the most affordable self-emptying bot on this list and excellent at picking up debris and pet hair on bare floors. It is also an intelligent vacuum and can learn the layout of one story of your home. Unlike other vacs on our list that struggle on higher pile carpeting, the iRobot Roomba i3+ EVO can easily climb and work on high-pile rugs (a big perk if your home is mostly carpeted).
Like the Samsung Jet Bot AI+ Robot Vacuum Cleaner, this one is as loud as normal conversation. Is your dog sensitive to loud noises? Schedule the i3+ EVO to clean when you are out on a walk.
As for appearances, the iRobot Roomba i3+ EVO is more stylish than other models on our list. While most robot vacuums have glossy covers that show dust, this iRobot model has a textured, matte gray finish that doesn't show smidges and fingerprints.
KEY FEATURES of iRobot Roomba i3+ EVO:
- 10x more suction power than the Roomba 600 series
- Learns how your home is laid out and creates an Imprint Smart Map
- Empties itself into a disposable bag for up to 60 days
- Captures 99% of particles as small as .7 microns
- Avoids stairs and ledges
- Detects dirtier areas of your home and cleans them more thoroughly
- Estimates cleaning time in the iRobot Home App
- Compatible with the iRobot Braava Jet M6 (6110)
- Works with Google Home and Amazon Alexa devices
IROBOT ROOMBA J7+
The iRobot Roomba j7+ is excellent at picking up debris and pet hair on low-pile rugs. While it is good at sucking up larger debris and pet hair from high-pile carpets, it may need many passes to clear very fine debris.
This self-emptying bot has removable, rubber brush rolls for easier cleaning of tangled pet hair and a HEPA filter that traps pet dander. The iRobot Roomba j7+ is also quieter than a microwave and features a front camera that avoids hazards and obstacles like cords and pet toys.
The iRobot Roomba j7+ does not clean hardwood floors as well as the other robot vacs on our list. Customers report the front bumper also occasionally pushes pet hair around on bare floors instead of sucking it up.
KEY FEATURES of iRobot Roomba j7+:
- Avoids common objects like cords, shoes, and pet waste
- Stores multiple Smart Maps for easier cleaning on each level of your home
- Avoids no-go zones like dog crates and baby activity gyms
- Edge-Sweeping Brush deep cleans baseboards and corners
- Empties itself into the Clean Base Automatic Dirt Disposal for up to 60 days
- Works with Google Home and Amazon Alexa-enabled devices
- Tap into your phone’s location to clean when you are out of the house
- Intelligently recharges and continues cleaning where it left off
The Eufy 30C is one of the cheapest robot vacuums on our list, and it excels at cleaning bare floors and low-pile carpets. This slim and compact robot vacuum easily maneuvers around chairs, tables, and desks. As one of the shortest robotic vacuums on the market, it also picks up dust bunnies underneath air vents. When it runs across a boundary strip, it quietly turns around and cleans another area.
Unlike the Eufy 11S, the Eufy 30C works with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa voice commands. While the EufyHome app is easy to use, customers report its notifications are sometimes inconsistent. When the Eufy 30C is hanging over a ledge, for example, you often have to wait for it to beep.
KEY FEATURES of Eufy 30C:
- Only connects to the 2.4GHz frequency
- 1500 Pa suction power and 4 side brushes remove dirt, dust, and crumbs
- Recognizes invisible walls created with 13.2 ft (4 m) boundary strips
- Avoids stairs and ledges
- 10 built-in anti-collision infrared sensors prevent it from bumping into obstacle
- Works with remote control (2 AAA batteries required), Eufy Clean app, Amazon Alexa, or Google Assistant
- Use the Find My Robot button in the EufyHome app to locate your lost robotic vacuum cleaner
ROBOT VACUUM CLEANERS SPEC COMPARISON CHART (OCTOBER 2022)
BEFORE YOU GO
Tell us how these top-rated robot vacuums worked on your carpet, tile, linoleum, or hardwood floors. Have a robotic vacuum cleaner from a different company that sucks up more pet hair, dirt, or dander? Leave us a comment below!