Can chocolate really kill a dog?

Asked By: Katelin Torp
Date created: Sun, Feb 14, 2021 2:34 PM
Best answers

In large enough amounts, chocolate and cocoa products can kill your dog.

The toxic component of chocolate is theobromine.

Humans easily metabolize theobromine, but dogs process it much more slowly, allowing it to build up to toxic levels in their system.

Answered By: Deborah Stoltenberg
Date created: Mon, Feb 15, 2021 4:37 PM
FAQ
✔️
Symptoms of dog chocolate poisoning include vomiting (which may include blood), diarrhoea, restlessness and hyperactivity, rapid breathing, muscle tension, incoordination, increased heart rate and seizures. The effect and signs of chocolate poisoning in dogs depend on the amount eaten and the size of the breed.
✔️

The toxic component of chocolate is theobromine.

Humans easily metabolize theobromine, but dogs process it much more slowly, allowing it to build up to toxic levels in their system.

A small amount of chocolate will probably only give your dog an upset stomach with vomiting or diarrhea.

✔️

If you think your pooch might've eaten chocolate - especially the darker kinds - call your vet right away.

She'll ask about your dog's size, what kind of chocolate he ate, and how much.

She might want you to make your dog vomit or simply watch his behavior, says vet Tina Wismer, DVM.

✔️

Most animals need only what are known as core vaccines: those that protect against the most common and most serious diseases.

In dogs, the core vaccines are distemper, parvovirus, hepatitis and rabies.

In cats, they are panleukopenia, calicivirus, rhinotracheitis (herpesvirus), and rabies as required by law.

✔️
Yes, chocolate is toxic to dogs (and cats!). While rarely fatal, chocolate ingestion can result in significant illness. Chocolate is toxic because it contains a chemical called theobromine, as well as caffeine. Theobromine is the predominant toxin in chocolate and is very similar to caffeine.
✔️

Approximately one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to a 20-pound dog; one-half pound for a 10-pound dog.

The average chocolate bar contains 2 to 3 ounces of milk chocolate.

It would take 2-3 candy bars to poison a 10 pound dog.

Semi-sweet chocolate has a similar toxic level.

✔️

In large enough amounts, chocolate and cocoa products can kill your dog.

The toxic component of chocolate is theobromine.

A large dog can consume more chocolate than a small dog before suffering ill effects.

A small amount of chocolate will probably only give your dog an upset stomach with vomiting or diarrhea.

67 similar questions