Can white chocolate kill a dog?

Asked By: Jadon West
Date created: Thu, Feb 4, 2021 4:19 PM
Best answers

Dogs cannot metabolize theobromine, a component of chocolate, so it quickly builds to toxic levels and can lead to death.

White chocolate has lower levels of theobromine, but is still dangerous in any amount.

If your dog eats White chocolate, they need emergency veterinary care.

Answered By: Joe Hauck
Date created: Fri, Feb 5, 2021 6:22 PM
FAQ
βœ”οΈ

Dog Throwing Up White Foam: Don't Panic! If Fido ate grass, dirt or something else he shouldn't have, white foam can be a sign of his digestive system reacting and trying to get the bad stuff out.

Simple indigestion should be resolved on its own, but keep a watchful eye on him just to be safe.

βœ”οΈ

In large enough amounts, chocolate and cocoa products can kill your dog.

The toxic component of chocolate is theobromine.

Humans easily metabolize theobromine, but dogs process it much more slowly, allowing it to build up to toxic levels in their system.

βœ”οΈ
Symptoms of dog chocolate poisoning include vomiting (which may include blood), diarrhoea, restlessness and hyperactivity, rapid breathing, muscle tension, incoordination, increased heart rate and seizures. The effect and signs of chocolate poisoning in dogs depend on the amount eaten and the size of the breed.
βœ”οΈ

The toxic component of chocolate is theobromine.

Humans easily metabolize theobromine, but dogs process it much more slowly, allowing it to build up to toxic levels in their system.

A small amount of chocolate will probably only give your dog an upset stomach with vomiting or diarrhea.

βœ”οΈ

If you think your pooch might've eaten chocolate - especially the darker kinds - call your vet right away.

She'll ask about your dog's size, what kind of chocolate he ate, and how much.

She might want you to make your dog vomit or simply watch his behavior, says vet Tina Wismer, DVM.

βœ”οΈ
Yes, chocolate is toxic to dogs (and cats!). While rarely fatal, chocolate ingestion can result in significant illness. Chocolate is toxic because it contains a chemical called theobromine, as well as caffeine. Theobromine is the predominant toxin in chocolate and is very similar to caffeine.
βœ”οΈ

Approximately one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to a 20-pound dog; one-half pound for a 10-pound dog.

The average chocolate bar contains 2 to 3 ounces of milk chocolate.

It would take 2-3 candy bars to poison a 10 pound dog.

Semi-sweet chocolate has a similar toxic level.

56 similar questions