How can i stop my dog barking when i go out?
- Keep the dog in the quietest part of the house. A dog with behavior problems has not earned "the run of the house".
- Keep curtains and/or shades drawn.
- Leave a radio or TV on as white noise.
- As you leave, give the dog an "only-when-I'm-gone" chew toy with your scent imparted on it.
Ignore the barking
- When you put your dog in their crate or in a gated room, turn your back and ignore them.
- Once they stop barking, turn around, praise them and give a treat.
- As they catch on that being quiet gets them a treat, lengthen the amount of time they must remain quiet before being rewarded.
Teach what to chew
- Take responsibility for your own belongings…
- Give your dog toys that are clearly distinguishable from household goods…
- Supervise your dog until they learn the house rules…
- Give your dog plenty of people-time…
- Give your dog plenty of physical and mental exercise…
- Build a toy obsession in your dog.
What to do
- Walk your dog at least twice daily…
- Play with them using active toys (balls, flying disks) as often as possible.
- Teach your dog a few commands or tricks…
- Take a training class with your dog and practice what you learn daily.
- Keep interesting toys in the yard to keep your dog busy when you're not around.
How long do I wait before taking my puppy outside? Vets recommend waiting until 10-14 days after your puppy's last vaccination booster – usually at around 14–16 weeks of age – before introducing them to the wonders of local parks, beaches and walking trails.
We've handpicked 66 related questions for you, similar to «How can i stop my dog barking when i go out?» so you can surely find the answer!