How do i get my dog to stop biting me?
Ignore the barking
- When you put your dog in their crate or in a gated room, turn your back and ignore them.
- Once they stop barking, turn around, praise them and give a treat.
- As they catch on that being quiet gets them a treat, lengthen the amount of time they must remain quiet before being rewarded.
Teach what to chew
- Take responsibility for your own belongings…
- Give your dog toys that are clearly distinguishable from household goods…
- Supervise your dog until they learn the house rules…
- Give your dog plenty of people-time…
- Give your dog plenty of physical and mental exercise…
- Build a toy obsession in your dog.
What to do
- Walk your dog at least twice daily…
- Play with them using active toys (balls, flying disks) as often as possible.
- Teach your dog a few commands or tricks…
- Take a training class with your dog and practice what you learn daily.
- Keep interesting toys in the yard to keep your dog busy when you're not around.
Stop Your Dog's Territorial Marking Inside
- Spay or Neuter your dog.
- Vet check to rule out sickness.
- 3. Make sure he's getting enough potty breaks.
- If he is marking in just one spot repeatedly: Soak the area with pet urine enzyme cleaner and let it fully dry.
- If he is marking in multiple spots inside: Get a bandana and put some of his urine on it.
Treatment for Your Dog's Compulsive Scratching, Licking, and Chewing
- Eliminating parasites. There are a variety of flea and tick products that your veterinarian can recommend…
- Changing foods…
- Using medication…
- Preventing the behavior…
- Addressing anxiety or boredom.
Here are our top seven solutions to help stop your dog's digging behavior.
- More playtime and exercise.
- More toys and chews.
- Maintain an area for acceptable digging.
- Discourage digging in unwanted areas.
- Add digging deterrents.
- Get rid of rodents.
- Help your dog cool down.
When you play with your puppy, let him mouth on your hands.
Continue play until he bites especially hard.
When he does, immediately give a high-pitched yelp, as if you're hurt, and let your hand go limp.
This should startle your puppy and cause him to stop mouthing you, at least momentarily.