How do you make a depressed dog happy?
Ways to Cheer Up Your Dog
- If you can take your dog for a walk in the morning, when the sun is shining, it should help him throughout the day.
- Spend extra time with him.
- Take your dog away to a new place.
- Take some special treats with you when you go for a walk.
- Bring him home a new toy.
- Play music for your dog.
While dog trainers can earn as little as $7.76 an hour up to as much as $29.59 an hour, Animal Behavior College estimates the average wage at $20 an hour, as of 2010.
However, some trainers earn upward of $150 an hour – especially those with a great deal of experience and in certain areas of the country.
Ways to Keep Your Puppy Happy
- Plan playtime. Make a date with your puppy every day to help socialize him.
- Take a road trip. He'll love riding shotgun to the ice-cream store, to the post office, or to pick up bagels.
- Hit the water.
- Give him a bath.
- Beat the heat.
- Walk, walk, walk.
- Do a dance.
- Take his picture.
It's commonly believed that dogs wag their tails to convey that they are happy and friendly, but this isn't exactly true.
Dogs do use their tails to communicate, though a wagging tail doesn't always mean, "Come pet me!" Dogs have a kind of language that's based on the position and motion of their tails.
"When dogs make noises, or twitch their muscles or eyelids, it's likely that they are in a deep stage of sleep, which is shared by humans called REM (rapid eye movement)," Thompson said.
"Their whimpers and noises during sleep may be much like the ramblings of humans when they sleep-talk."
4 Tips for helping your dog gain weight
- Choose a higher calorie food. Select a food that is higher in calories and protein like what you would offer a canine athlete…
- Feed small meals throughout the day or consider free feeding…
- Supplement meals with snacks…
- Use wet or fresh foods…
- Picky eater…
- Old age.
Yes, we know our pets can make us happier, but research shows that interacting with dogs can help reduce stress.
Even something as simple as playing fetch or petting your pup can increase levels of the feel-good hormone oxytocin in your brain, and lower production of cortisol, a stress-inducing hormone.
The 7 foods most likely to make your pet sick
- A number of common foods can be toxic for pets. istockphoto.
- Chocolate, coffee and caffeine. Chocolate, coffee and caffeine can be toxic for pets.
- Onions, chives, garlic and leeks. Onions and related plant species can make dogs and cats sick.
- Grapes and raisins.
- Macadamia nuts.