How do you treat chocolate poisoning in dogs?

Best answers

Clinical signs depend on the amount and type of chocolate ingested.

For many dogs, the most common clinical signs are vomiting and diarrhea, increased thirst, panting or restlessness, excessive urination, and a racing heart rate.

In severe cases, muscle tremors, seizures, and heart failure can be seen.

FAQ
✔️
The most common way vets treat chocolate poisoning is to use fluids and IV drugs, he says. For example, they'll use a drug called apomorphine to force vomiting, stomach pumping to flush the stomach with fluids, and medicine called activated charcoal to prevent the chocolate from getting into your dog's blood.
✔️
There is no antidote for chocolate poisoning. Affected dogs are offered supportive treatment from the veterinarian to prevent further absorption of the poison and hasten elimination, along with symptomatic treatment. If the animal has just been observed eating chocolate, the veterinarian may choose to induce vomiting.
✔️
Signs of chocolate poisoning usually appear within 6 to 12 hours after your dog has eaten it, may last up to 72 hours, and include the following: Vomiting. Diarrhea. Restlessness.
✔️

Symptoms that your pet may have chocolate toxicity include:

  • Vomiting.
  • Drooling.
  • Diarrhea.
  • Extreme thirst.
  • Increased urination.
  • Hyperactivity.
  • Pacing.
  • Panting.
✔️

The treatment for both acute and chronic copper poisoning is chelation with penicillamine or to excrete the copper in the urine, and zinc therapy after your dog's copper levels are reduced.

This will be done in the hospital so the veterinarian can continue to monitor your dog's progress.

✔️

If your dog has ingested a large amount of grapes or grape containing product intravenous fluids will be necessary for at least 48 hours.

This will help to increase urine production, support kidney function and flush the toxin out of the body.

✔️

The most commonly used antibiotic is doxycycline, though other tetracycline drugs may be used.

These antibiotics can be given orally, although severely ill dogs with vomiting may require hospitalization for intravenous antibiotic therapy.

50 similar questions