How to train my dog to use a potty pad?
Potty pad training your dog
- Restrict Fluffy's access inside the house. Keep her on leash with you, in a free-standing pen on an easy-to-clean floor (while supervised), or in a properly-sized kennel…
- No punishment…
- Set up her “alone” room…
- Feed Fluffy on a schedule…
- Take her to her pad regularly and wait for her to go.
When you start to house train, follow these steps:
- Keep the puppy on a regular feeding schedule and take away his food between meals.
- Take puppy out to eliminate first thing in the morning and then once every 30 minutes to an hour.
- Take puppy to the same spot each time to do his business.
Step 1: Training Your Dog to Walk on a Leash
- Introduce him to the collar or harness and leash.
- Teach a cue.
- Make him come to you.
- Practice inside.
- Take it outside.
- If he pulls: If your dog starts pulling in the other direction, turn yourself into "a tree."
When you start to house train, follow these steps: Keep the puppy on a regular feeding schedule and take away his food between meals.
Take puppy out to eliminate first thing in the morning and then once every 30 minutes to an hour.
Also, always take him outside after meals or when he wakes from a nap.
How to Train a Puppy to Pee Outside
- Step 1: Teach your puppy the potty cue. Have your puppy sit by the back door…
- Step 2: Determine a set potty area. Put your puppy on a leash and walk them out to the part of the yard you want your dog to relieve themselves at…
- Step 3: Use a crate when you're not home.
Potty Training. Potty training is an important step in training your dog.
Training a puppy to pee outside takes 4 to 6 months on average, but it can be a lot quicker if you are very consistent about taking your puppy outside every few hours.
Some puppies can be potty trained in as little as two weeks.
Establish a routine
- Take your puppy outside frequently—at least every two hours—and immediately after they wake up, during and after playing, and after eating or drinking.
- Pick a bathroom spot outside, and always take your puppy (on a leash) to that spot…
- Reward your puppy every time they eliminate outdoors.
House training your puppy is about consistency, patience, and positive reinforcement.
The goal is to instill good habits and build a loving bond with your pet.
It typically takes 4-6 months for a puppy to be fully house trained, but some puppies may take up to a year.