Protect Your Pet This Winter
The winter season brings plenty of outdoor fun and excitement, but it can also pose serious threats to the health of pets who are left outside in subzero temperatures. Even […]
The winter season brings plenty of outdoor fun and excitement, but it can also pose serious threats to the health of pets who are left outside in subzero temperatures. Even though your pet may have extra layers of fur, they are not significantly more resistant to cold temperatures than you are. In fact, cats and dogs are susceptible to frostbite and hypothermia.
Here are some ways to ensure your four-legged friend stays warm and safe this winter:
- Don’t leave your pet outside for long periods of time in below-freezing temperatures! Even longer-haired, thick-coated breeds need to come inside and warm up.
- Make sure your pet is microchipped and wearing a collar with ID tags. If your furry friend happens to escape in sub-zero temperatures, the best way to ensure they end up back in your arms quickly is easy identification.
- Frequently check for signs of cold weather injury. Cracked paw pads, ice buildup and bleeding are the most common signs of cold weather injury.
- Add more layers! If your pet is significantly bothered by cold weather, get them a sweater, coat or boots for when they go outside. You can also invest in a heated bed or blanket for when they settle back indoors.
- Double check your car. Warm vehicles are a popular hiding spot for lost or stray animals. Be sure to check underneath your car and bang your hood to get any animals out of harm’s way.
Follow these tips to ensure winter is a safe, enjoyable season for your pet.
Traveling this season?
You should leave your pets in the hands of someone you trust. At Priority Boarding and Daycare, your pet is our priority. We focus on providing animals with the same love and care they receive at home so Hoosier pet owners can have peace of mind knowing their four-legged friend will be safe while they travel. If you’re ready to book a luxurious, 5-star stay for your pet, send them our way!