Step away from the chocolate!

A bit of chocolate for us humans is an indulgence and a delicious treat. However, even a small amount of chocolate to some cats and dogs can be quite devastating to their health. As well as a high fat content, chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine. This is the most toxic component in chocolate that have a negative effect […] The post Step away from the chocolate! appeared first on Shinga.

Step away from the chocolate!

A bit of chocolate for us humans is an indulgence and a delicious treat.

However, even a small amount of chocolate to some cats and dogs can be quite devastating to their health.

As well as a high fat content, chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine. This is the most toxic component in chocolate that have a negative effect on our pets’ health.

Humans can easily metabolise theobromine, but dogs and cats process it much more slowly, allowing it to build up to toxic levels in their system.

A small amount of chocolate will probably only give your dog or cat an upset stomach and possibly the risk of vomiting or diarrhoea.

How much chocolate is toxic for my pet?

This will depend on the weight and size of your pet. It also depends on type of chocolate.

White chocolate has the least amount of stimulants and dark chocolate has the highest, of which cooking or baking chocolate will cause the most severe symptoms.

A lethal dose of theobromine is 80-200mg/kg, cooking or baking chocolate has 14.1mg/gram of theobromine, dark chocolate has 5.3mg/gram, milk chocolate has 1.4mg/gram, and white chocolate has very little real chocolate in it.

A large dog can consume more chocolate than a small dog or cat before suffering ill effects.

Depending on the weight and size of your pet, chocolate poisoning will only show symptoms between 30 minutes and 2 hours after consumption.

Symptoms resulting from too much chocolate.

When a large amount of chocolate is consumed, theobromine can produce muscle tremors, seizures, an irregular heartbeat, internal bleeding or a heart attack. .

If your 20kg dog gets their paws on a single chocolate-chip cookie, it probably will not cause your dog a serious problems. However, if they gobble up enough of your favourite chocolate treats they may develop symptoms such as:-

  • vomiting
  • diarrhoea
  • increased urination
  • restlessness
  • hyperactivity
  • muscle twitching
  • and in severe cases or where left untreated seizures.

Veterinary assistance 

If you know your pet has eaten your chocolate, be ready to tell your vet:

  1. How much chocolate you think your pet ate.
  2. What type of chocolate it was.
  3. How long ago it was.

It is helpful to bring the chocolate wrapper, if it is available.

The sooner you seek help better for your pet.

 

Sources: http://facts-about-chocolate.com/chocolate-and-dogs/

https://pets.webmd.com/dogs/guide/dogs-and-chocolate-get-the-facts#1

The post Step away from the chocolate! appeared first on Shinga.