Why are labradors so friendly?
Size and colourBoth breeds are large dogs, but Labs are slightly larger… Both Labrador and Golden Retrievers are similar in size and weight, though Labrador Retrievers tend to be slightly larger overall: Labradors weigh 25 to 36 kg on average, with females in the 25 to 32 kg range.
The reason why is because Labradors, Goldens, and GSDs have a suitable temperament and physical structure for the job, and were common enough to establish breeding programs of each when the guide dog organizations starting breeding their own dogs. The rest is history.
Top 10 family friendly dog breeds
- Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. The Cavalier is a truly sweet-natured, gentle breed making a wonderful addition to the family home, particularly with young children.
- Labrador Retriever.
- Bichon Frise.
- Shih Tzu.
- Border Terrier.
Here are six tips on how to introduce your dog to a potential canine friend.
- Start in a Calm, Neutral Environment.
- Use a Familiar, Well-behaved Dog.
- Go Slowly at First.
- Use Plenty of Positive Reinforcement.
- Never Use Tight Leashes or Pull the Dogs Apart.
- Repeat the Process As Many Times As Necessary.
One of the best dogs for children of all ages, Labrador Retrievers are kindly, good-natured, and take most things in stride.
Most Labs are friendly with everyone, though compared to Golden Retrievers, many Labs are just a bit more conservative with their affections.