Will a chocolate brownie kill a dog?

Asked By: Macy Ortiz
Date created: Sat, Mar 6, 2021 8:02 PM
Best answers

I will presume that the brownies you refer to are chocolate brownies.

If made from regular cooking chocolate then it is possible for a dog to get extremely unwell and possibly die of toxic shock.

In general, milk chocolate and sweet compound chocolate have less Theobromine to worry about.

Answered By: Jerod Dach
Date created: Sun, Mar 7, 2021 10:05 PM
FAQ
✔️

In large enough amounts, chocolate and cocoa products can kill your dog.

The toxic component of chocolate is theobromine.

Humans easily metabolize theobromine, but dogs process it much more slowly, allowing it to build up to toxic levels in their system.

✔️
Symptoms of dog chocolate poisoning include vomiting (which may include blood), diarrhoea, restlessness and hyperactivity, rapid breathing, muscle tension, incoordination, increased heart rate and seizures. The effect and signs of chocolate poisoning in dogs depend on the amount eaten and the size of the breed.
✔️

The toxic component of chocolate is theobromine.

Humans easily metabolize theobromine, but dogs process it much more slowly, allowing it to build up to toxic levels in their system.

A small amount of chocolate will probably only give your dog an upset stomach with vomiting or diarrhea.

✔️

If you think your pooch might've eaten chocolate - especially the darker kinds - call your vet right away.

She'll ask about your dog's size, what kind of chocolate he ate, and how much.

She might want you to make your dog vomit or simply watch his behavior, says vet Tina Wismer, DVM.

✔️

Generally, an adult average sized dog at 12 months of age, weighs about twice their weight at 4 months of age, or 2.5x the weight at 14 weeks.

Adult giant breeds grow more slowly, take longer to mature, and don't reach adult growth until they're at least 16-18 months old.

✔️
Yes, chocolate is toxic to dogs (and cats!). While rarely fatal, chocolate ingestion can result in significant illness. Chocolate is toxic because it contains a chemical called theobromine, as well as caffeine. Theobromine is the predominant toxin in chocolate and is very similar to caffeine.
✔️

In large enough amounts, chocolate and cocoa products can kill your dog.

The toxic component of chocolate is theobromine.

A large dog can consume more chocolate than a small dog before suffering ill effects.

A small amount of chocolate will probably only give your dog an upset stomach with vomiting or diarrhea.

69 similar questions