Will eating chocolate kill a dog?

Asked By: Isaias Ratke
Date created: Sun, Mar 14, 2021 12:26 PM
Best answers

In large enough amounts, chocolate and cocoa products can kill your dog.

The toxic component of chocolate is theobromine.

Humans easily metabolize theobromine, but dogs process it much more slowly, allowing it to build up to toxic levels in their system.

Answered By: Julia Wehner
Date created: Mon, Mar 15, 2021 2:29 PM
FAQ
βœ”οΈ

Perhaps the best way to stop the problem is through training and environmental management methods, including:

  1. Keep the dog's living area clean, including the yard, so there will be no poops for him to pick up.
  2. Cat owners should keep that litter box clean or out of the dog's reach.
βœ”οΈ

Do-it-yourself suggestions to help you stop your dog from eating his own poop include:

  1. Coat stools with hot sauce or lemon juice. Add a few tablespoons of canned pumpkin to his food bowl each day.
  2. Add meat tenderizer to your dog's food (it will make the dog waste taste VERY bad).
  3. Keep waste picked up on a regular basis.
βœ”οΈ

And grass-eating doesn't usually lead to throwing up - less than 25% of dogs that eat grass vomit regularly after grazing.

Other suggested reasons why your dog might be eating grass include improving digestion, treating intestinal worms, or fulfilling some unmet nutritional need, including the need for fiber.

βœ”οΈ
Symptoms of dog chocolate poisoning include vomiting (which may include blood), diarrhoea, restlessness and hyperactivity, rapid breathing, muscle tension, incoordination, increased heart rate and seizures. The effect and signs of chocolate poisoning in dogs depend on the amount eaten and the size of the breed.
βœ”οΈ

The toxic component of chocolate is theobromine.

Humans easily metabolize theobromine, but dogs process it much more slowly, allowing it to build up to toxic levels in their system.

A small amount of chocolate will probably only give your dog an upset stomach with vomiting or diarrhea.

βœ”οΈ

And just like us, nervousness and stress can make your dog feel queasy and increase acid in his stomach.

When dogs eat too quickly, they don't take the time to chew their larger pieces of kibble.

They also ingest a significant amount of air, both of which can come back up by regurgitation or by vomiting.

βœ”οΈ

If you think your pooch might've eaten chocolate - especially the darker kinds - call your vet right away.

She'll ask about your dog's size, what kind of chocolate he ate, and how much.

She might want you to make your dog vomit or simply watch his behavior, says vet Tina Wismer, DVM.

57 similar questions