Will getting another dog stop separation anxiety?
A Second Dog Is Not a Cure For Separation Anxiety.
"Help! Another dog might help your dog feel less lonely, but if your dog has Separation Anxiety from you the presence of Another dog isn't likely to change his behavior.
In certain scenarios the addition of another dog can make things even worse.
How to treat minor separation anxiety
- Don't make a big deal out of arrivals and departures — ignore your dog for the first few minutes then calmly pet them.
- Leave your dog with recently worn clothes that smell like you.
- Establish a word or action that you use every time you leave that tells your dog you'll be back.
Ignore the barking
- When you put your dog in their crate or in a gated room, turn your back and ignore them.
- Once they stop barking, turn around, praise them and give a treat.
- As they catch on that being quiet gets them a treat, lengthen the amount of time they must remain quiet before being rewarded.
Teach what to chew
- Take responsibility for your own belongings…
- Give your dog toys that are clearly distinguishable from household goods…
- Supervise your dog until they learn the house rules…
- Give your dog plenty of people-time…
- Give your dog plenty of physical and mental exercise…
- Build a toy obsession in your dog.
We've handpicked 24 related questions for you, similar to «Will getting another dog stop separation anxiety?» so you can surely find the answer!