Will mushrooms hurt my dog?

Asked By: Stephany Schinner
Date created: Sat, Dec 5, 2020 3:08 PM
Best answers

Mushrooms can kill dogs, and they can do so quickly! Many dogs are sickened and killed each year after eating poisonous mushrooms.

And depending on the type of mushroom and the size of your dog, it may not even take much to send you and your pooch rushing to the Animal ER.

Answered By: Adaline Wyman
Date created: Sun, Dec 6, 2020 5:11 PM
FAQ
βœ”οΈ
According to Dr. Justine A. Lee, DVM, DACVECC, writing for the Pet Health Network, mushrooms sold in large and chain grocery stores are generally safe for dogs to eat. However, we rarely serve up plain mushrooms… Unless the mushroom is served plain, it is generally safer to avoid feeding dishes with mushrooms to dogs.
βœ”οΈ
Pets have been known to eat mushrooms in yards and while on walks. While 99% of mushrooms have little or no toxicity, the 1% that are highly toxic can cause life-threatening problems in pets. Take extra care to keep pets away from areas where mushrooms might be growing.
βœ”οΈ

Generally, an adult average sized dog at 12 months of age, weighs about twice their weight at 4 months of age, or 2.5x the weight at 14 weeks.

Adult giant breeds grow more slowly, take longer to mature, and don't reach adult growth until they're at least 16-18 months old.

βœ”οΈ

A fairly accurate calculation you can do to predict an adult height for your puppy is to multiply her height at six months by 100 and divide that answer by 75.

For example, a puppy who is 8 inches at the shoulder when she is 6 months old should be between 10.5 and 11 inches at the shoulder when she is finished growing.

βœ”οΈ

Check his ears.

If your puppy's ears stand up when he gets excited, they probably will stand permanently by the time he is 6-months-old.

Another way to tell if your pup's ears are likely to stand is by observing where they are set on the head.

βœ”οΈ

(Don't worry about mushrooms sold in large-chain grocery stores – these are safe and considered non-toxic to dogs and humans).

Depending on what type of mushroom is accidentally ingested, poisoning can be seen even with just a small bite.

βœ”οΈ

Long-term behavior changes are usually positive if the spay or neuter was performed at a young age.

For example, male dogs may become less aggressive.

This means that some dogs will "calm down" over the next few months, while others may take years to calm down.

57 similar questions